Spice Islands® Bean Soup Mix
A tasty and hearty bean soup that is good to battle the cold weather. A great gift for friends and family. This recipe is built as a pre make and give type of recipe. You prepare "gifts" that contain the beans and spices and give these to your friends/family along with the recipe to finish the soup themselves. A great way to get someone introduced to cooking or to just provide a tasty meal with less hassle.
- 1. To prepare bean mix: Combine dry beans in a large bowl and mix. Divide into 6 equal parts, about 2 cups each, and place in air tight containers.
- 2. To prepare spice mix: For each spice
- 3. Include this recipe with each batch:
- 4. Bean Soup Mix Prep Time: 15 minutes, Soak Time (for beans): 8 hours, Cook Time: 3-1/2 hours (stovetop)
- 5. 1 container dry bean mix
- 6. 1 package spice mix
- 7. 8 cups water
- 8. 1 ham hock (about 8 to 12 ounces)
- 9. 1 can (14.5 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 10. 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 11. 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 12. Rinse beans. Place in a large bowl and cover with water to 2 inches above the beans. Cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight.
- 13. Drain beans. Combine beans with 8 cups water and ham hock in a stock pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add spice mix, tomatoes, onion and liquid smoke. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 2 hours.
- 14. Remove lid and simmer an additional hour, or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf. Remove ham hock; shred meat from bone. Return meat to soup. Serve hot.
- 15. Recipe note: This can be made using a slow cooker. Rehydrate beans as directed above. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker, and cook on high 5 to 6 hours, or low 8 to 10 hours.