Spiced Chocolate Bat Cookies
A perfect spooky Halloween treat! Recipe found at www.countryliving.com
- 2 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 stick Unsalted Butter
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 cup Unsulphered Molasses
- Silver Edible Sugar Pearls
- Granulated Sugar
- 1. In a large bowl whisk together first 7 ingredients until well combined; set aside.
- 2. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat using the paddle attachment of an electric mixer. Add egg and beat until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add molasses, and mix to combine. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined, about 1 minute.
- 3. Divide dough in half. Place each between two pieces of parchment paper, and roll to a 3/8-inch-thick disk. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- 4. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Dust countertop with cocoa powder.
- 5. Transfer dough to countertop and cut cookie shaped with a 6-inch bat-shaped cutter (see note) or desired size (adjust baking time accordingly). Repeat with remaining dough. Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper–lined baking sheets.
- 6. Bake about 12 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking, until cookies are crisp. Lightly press 2 sugar pearls into each cookie for eyes. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- 7. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the tops of the bat wings with water. Sprinkle with sugar and allow to set.