1. In a large bowl whisk together first 7 ingredients until well combined; set aside.
2. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat using the paddle attachment of an electric mixer. Add egg and beat until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add molasses, and mix to combine. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined, about 1 minute.
3. Divide dough in half. Place each between two pieces of parchment paper, and roll to a 3/8-inch-thick disk. Refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Dust countertop with cocoa powder.
5. Transfer dough to countertop and cut cookie shaped with a 6-inch bat-shaped cutter (see note) or desired size (adjust baking time accordingly). Repeat with remaining dough. Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper–lined baking sheets.
6. Bake about 12 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking, until cookies are crisp. Lightly press 2 sugar pearls into each cookie for eyes. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
7. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the tops of the bat wings with water. Sprinkle with sugar and allow to set.
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …